In the first epoch the Judiciary was a part of the Executive Power but in the second epoch it was separated from the Executive Power although extent of its independence is always a point of controversy throughout all eras. Administration of the Government of Sudan during the colonial government was different from administrations of the other British colonies, for instead of having a senior secretary who was responsible of the whole administration before the Governor and entrusted with the import ant issues, there were three secretaries in Sudan:
the Administrative Secretary, the Financial Secretary and the Judicial Secretary. The Judicial Secretary was responsible of legislations, the judiciary, the Lands Authority and the land registry office. T hose three secretaries were undertaking their works in their area of jurisdictions as head of the directors, and the General Governor was supervising administration of the provinces by those secretaries.
Administration of the colonists to the Country was m erely military in all its administrative, judicial and legislative aspects and it was executed by British military officers. The General Governor was the head of the Judiciary similarly like the other administrations, so the General Governor was authorized to transfer an official from any administration to the Judiciary and the vice versa. With regard to managing colonial governance in Sudan ( 9911 – 9191 ) eight persons were rotated in the post of the General Governor, eight persons in the post of the Admini strative Secretary and seven persons in the post of Judicial Secretary.
The English colonists(1899 – 1956) divided the Judiciary into two sections: the Civil Section comprising civil and criminal domains which was headed by the chief justice, and the Shari a Section which was headed by the supreme judge, both are headed by the Judicial Secretary who was headed by the General Governor. Premises of the Judiciary administration was established for the first time during 1850 – 1851 namely before one hundred and fifty years in the times of the Governor Abdelatif Basha who held government of Sudan during October 1849 – December 1851. The court was in one building with Khartoum Province Department and the Governance Department. The building was made of red bricks a nd called " the Populace Court ." At that time Khartoum was like a small village limited between the Zoo east the Friendship Hall and premises of the Ministry of Health. The said premises was at that time situated in Al - Hekimdaria Quarter which was located between the General Audit Chamber and the University of Khartoum and considered as one of the most important quarters of Khartoum in which government's offices and senior.